I stood at the Charles de Gaulle arrival gate with curious onlookers reading my sign as I anxiously waited, my eyes darting to and from the gate, quickly scanning my surroundings - had I missed them? Was I in the right place? Was there another arrival gate? Philadelphia - "Delivery in progress." I waited. I could see shadows of feet behind the wall as arrivees approached the gate, mystery feet until they appeared with the rest of their person in the gate doorway. Those feet? Or maybe those? No, not him. Definitely not her. I waited. I wondered what they would be wearing, which one would appear first, imagined their reactions to seeing me, my new 'do, and my sign -
"Dew you know me?"
As others had before, out stepped a distinguished man with a salt and pepper goatee and a fedora, three chic ladies trailing closely behind. They paused and looked left and right, just as the others had. For an instant, they were just another cluster of travelers trickling out of that gate. But then reality caught me. In another instant, two worlds merged. The long awaited moment had finally been realized and it seemed so natural - my family was with me in Paris!
After a reunion immediately reestablishing our familial roles and modes of interaction, the five of us began our odyssey transporting les valises from CDG to the apartment in the center of Paris. We took what seemed the least fussy of our options, taking the RER to a central metro stop and then walking a few minutes to the apartment. This option had the least changeovers, but boy were we unprepared for the mayhem of carting luggage through a busy transportation hub with the escalators turned off. Once we made it out of the station and up onto the road, I was more comfortable since it's a road I know pretty well. Still, my exhausted family was not getting the greatest first impression of Paris.

I'll admit, I initially felt personally responsible for properly introducing my family to the City of Light and making their experience the best it could be. I'm the insider, right? Thus, it was daunting and frustrating for me trying to quickly assimilate my family into the ways of Paris...the metro, cafes, boulangeries, standard lingo and politesse...and to show them all of the "must-sees" that I've experienced within a period of three months...in just a few days. That's a lot of pressure!
Together we've visited the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Elysees, the Musee d'Orsay, Raymonda at the Palais Garnier, wandered the Marais, and eaten a lot of great food. I'm glad that they've now gotten to explore the city more without me and established their own goals. Of course they're more than capable of exploring on their own, but I wanted to show my family the Paris that I've come to know and love. Much better, they can develop their own personal opinions of the city, wandering and discovering rather than being led directly to the places that I want them to see. Paris really is best appreciated through walks in its historic and vibrant streets.
My family has just a short time left to see Paris, then we're off to Barcelona together! I love that they're here to share in this experience with me. An additional bonus, I'll have my family to comfort and cheer me after my dreaded and hopefully last meeting at the Prefecture on Friday. Wish us all luck!
"Dew you know me?"
As others had before, out stepped a distinguished man with a salt and pepper goatee and a fedora, three chic ladies trailing closely behind. They paused and looked left and right, just as the others had. For an instant, they were just another cluster of travelers trickling out of that gate. But then reality caught me. In another instant, two worlds merged. The long awaited moment had finally been realized and it seemed so natural - my family was with me in Paris!
After a reunion immediately reestablishing our familial roles and modes of interaction, the five of us began our odyssey transporting les valises from CDG to the apartment in the center of Paris. We took what seemed the least fussy of our options, taking the RER to a central metro stop and then walking a few minutes to the apartment. This option had the least changeovers, but boy were we unprepared for the mayhem of carting luggage through a busy transportation hub with the escalators turned off. Once we made it out of the station and up onto the road, I was more comfortable since it's a road I know pretty well. Still, my exhausted family was not getting the greatest first impression of Paris.
I'll admit, I initially felt personally responsible for properly introducing my family to the City of Light and making their experience the best it could be. I'm the insider, right? Thus, it was daunting and frustrating for me trying to quickly assimilate my family into the ways of Paris...the metro, cafes, boulangeries, standard lingo and politesse...and to show them all of the "must-sees" that I've experienced within a period of three months...in just a few days. That's a lot of pressure!
3 comments:
Your blog reminds us of the short but memorable time we spent in France. Your writing makes us feel like we are right there again. Looking at your picture in front of Notre Dame, I recall our visit a few years ago. It was February, the Christmas tree was still up and a light snow began to fall just as we arrived. Thanks for resurrecting the memories of our trip.
Aside:
Now that the "von Trapp family" has been reunited, I was wondering if you were all going to perform your "Elf Dance". Perhaps under the Arc de Triomphe....on second thought, no, too dangerous. It's not even safe to go there in a car. Maybe that dance would be better suited at the Moulin Rouge. Who knew you were all such good dancers.
Keep the blogs coming! Though we don't always post comments, your blog is on our "must read" list. We do enjoy your writing. We check daily in anticipation of the next installment.
Love Uncle Mark and Aunt Kelly
Need confirmation---is Elise's hair really red? A matter of discussion amongst the group last night. Everyonde except me voting for the lighting---L, G-ma
Elise's hair is not red, though she has some natural red highlights so it looks reddish in the light. :)
Post a Comment