Once I decide that my hair needs to be cut, I have the patience of a 5 year-old child on Christmas Eve, restless and itching to have it done immediately. Every moment that I notice its split-ends or scraggly way-too-long dullness I get even more frustrated and ready to chop. At the end of spring semester last year, I was so busy and so antsy, unable to wait to make an appointment with my usual hairdresser, that I cut it myself. I often cut and trim my bangs, but I decided to go all the way, chopping off a few inches all over and refreshing my layers. It actually looked really good for a while, but it was a quick-fix that would need finessing in the coming weeks. Don't be alarmed - I have not taken those same desperate measures again! Once my hair began to grate on my nerves last week I took action in the form of researching coiffeurs in Paris and Ile-de-France. I quickly made my appointment in French and asked for an English-speaking hairdresser (not an odd request as I found the salon through "AngloInfo Paris" and perused the website in English...or so I thought).
I arrived a l'heure at the Parisian salon de coiffure on Saturday where a chic twenty-something swiftly hung my coat and ushered me to a sleek oval mirror at a smart little table. I sipped delicious coffee as award-winning Francine and I perused hairstyle pictures and discussed my new coupe de cheveux...in French. I am proud to say that I held my own while conveying my hairstyle wishes (which, admittedly, wasn't too hard since I didn't know exactly what I wanted other than shorter, layered, bangs, and for her to work some magic). Once we agreed on a new look for me, a stunning modelesque twenty-something washed my hair and chatted me up about my earrings, the weather, and other small-talk standards...except in French. Francine cut my hair in nearly five minutes, after which time the Model came to fetch me once again. Here's where the real hair experience began!
I was seated in a massage chair as the Model performed a series of treatments on my hair...I remember one with something about essential oils, then there was an algae mask, and eventually I was left to relax in a cloud of steam. During this time, the Model and I chatted some more - where I'm from, what I'm doing here, why my hair is "breaking" (not because we lose x amount of hairs each day, but because I'm not using their shampoos, hair masks, and various other treatments, of course). It was actually fun practicing my French with someone who wants my money and return visits - I didn't feel silly attempting to communicate since my French was apparently better than the English of anyone I encountered!
The Model blow-dried my hair - a brushing - seemingly doubling the time I'd already spent, Francine retouched my cut, et voilĂ ! I had new, light, unbelievably healthy hair! It's now been almost a week. I'm still getting used to styling it - I haven't perfected my shorter hair look - but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Ha - both of the kids told me they preferred my hair long, and typically I prefer myself with longer hair, but I love that it's now healthy and different! I had a great hair experience - quite fortunately considering how disastrous such a situation could be. I don't yet know if I'll maintain this length, go longer or shorter, or return to Francine next time my hair looks sad, but it was a fun and beneficial experience, and I certainly recommend Francine and her team for a hair transformation!

____________________________________
In other news...heck yes, Wake Forest is going to a bowl game - three years in a row!!! Wish I could be there... the Meineke bowl was so great :) GO DEACS!!!
DEWS IN PARIS TOMORROW!!!!
I arrived a l'heure at the Parisian salon de coiffure on Saturday where a chic twenty-something swiftly hung my coat and ushered me to a sleek oval mirror at a smart little table. I sipped delicious coffee as award-winning Francine and I perused hairstyle pictures and discussed my new coupe de cheveux...in French. I am proud to say that I held my own while conveying my hairstyle wishes (which, admittedly, wasn't too hard since I didn't know exactly what I wanted other than shorter, layered, bangs, and for her to work some magic). Once we agreed on a new look for me, a stunning modelesque twenty-something washed my hair and chatted me up about my earrings, the weather, and other small-talk standards...except in French. Francine cut my hair in nearly five minutes, after which time the Model came to fetch me once again. Here's where the real hair experience began!
I was seated in a massage chair as the Model performed a series of treatments on my hair...I remember one with something about essential oils, then there was an algae mask, and eventually I was left to relax in a cloud of steam. During this time, the Model and I chatted some more - where I'm from, what I'm doing here, why my hair is "breaking" (not because we lose x amount of hairs each day, but because I'm not using their shampoos, hair masks, and various other treatments, of course). It was actually fun practicing my French with someone who wants my money and return visits - I didn't feel silly attempting to communicate since my French was apparently better than the English of anyone I encountered!____________________________________
In other news...heck yes, Wake Forest is going to a bowl game - three years in a row!!! Wish I could be there... the Meineke bowl was so great :) GO DEACS!!!
DEWS IN PARIS TOMORROW!!!!
1 comment:
Oh, my! A day at the salon, followed by sipping chocolat chez Angelina, later strolling the streets of Paris, no doubt. How will you ever adjust to NOT doing those things? Hope the travelers arrived safely after the initial false start. We can feel the excitement from here and want all the details. Your hair is adorable by the way, or more a propos, tres chic. Sorry--got carried away with the French-isms!
Aunt Betty
Post a Comment