Friday, O
ctober 3, completes my fourth week in France. This is (though inevitable in its eventual entirety) officially the longest period of time I have been outside the US. Of course it's also the first time that I have actually lived - received my mail - outside of the country. I have a French cell phone and the locals' year-long transportation card. I opened my bank account yesterday with BNP Paribas - Visa and checkbook on the way! Haha I am still having the hardest time believing this. I live in France.
Much of the culture shock has worn off; I am accustomed to the traff
ic signs and narrow roads; I am plotting undeniably Euro clothing purchases at various stores and boutiques; I am unfazed by the mannerisms and the language (hearing it, that is...I still can't speak very well). I delight in the architecture and the history that permeates nearly everything - the homage to tradition and the legacy carried by each stone house, immaculately preserved garden, and breathtaking chateau. I've started viewing the world in photographs - everywhere I look is a great picture!
Of course I am by no means assimilated. Every day challenges me to adapt and integrate, and I'm so curious to know how much I stand out as a foreigner! Crashing your bicycle because you're overwhelmed by obstacles and have always had an irrational fear of cycling is not exactly the greatest way to blend; I'm pretty sure it's not every day that a car pulls over to see if the
au pair taking a boy to school is ok after nearly smashing her bike into a pole and/or wall. I'm surprised and comforted by the random French citizens who have been unexpectedly neighborly to me in my comical foibles. Just the other day, when my car sputtered and stopped moving as I tried to turn onto an uphill road (no doubt some combination of having the car in the wrong gear and attempting to accelerate too much or too little), the guy in the car behind me parked and came to see what was wrong rather than passing and leaving me in the dust. I'm a
lso the one who wears suede, slick-soled boots and forgets her umbrella when it starts to rain and, yes, hail at the start of her 15 minute walk home (after which time said inclement weather disappears and makes way for the sun). My life here would make a great sitcom. I'm definitely learning to laugh at setbacks and not take myself too seriously.
Last week's service at the American Church in Paris played some role in this attitude, too. In his sermon, one minister referenced Mother Teresa who once said, "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle; I just wish that He didn't
trust me so much." I love this slightly tongue-in-cheek quotation from Mother Teresa. Though I'm not attempting to conquer global issues like poverty, disease, and famine, the sermon really stayed with me. I find myself coming back to her words and deriving even more strength from her sentiments - determination to get through my comparatively nonexistent trials and come out on top and in high spirits. No matter the problem I'm faced with, I know that I have the ability to grapple with it. That's definitely been one of the most noticeable recurring themes in my various predicaments as I've been in France.

All in all, I'm excited for my journey ahead! I feel as though my life here is coming together, bit by bit. I made a few new friends at school today (school pictured on the right) - Helena from London and Monika from Germany, and French classes are going well. This is really going to be a great year.
Aaaand...for the record, my bike-riding skills have vastly improved, and I'm really not too shabby with a standard transmission... ;)
Much of the culture shock has worn off; I am accustomed to the traff
Of course I am by no means assimilated. Every day challenges me to adapt and integrate, and I'm so curious to know how much I stand out as a foreigner! Crashing your bicycle because you're overwhelmed by obstacles and have always had an irrational fear of cycling is not exactly the greatest way to blend; I'm pretty sure it's not every day that a car pulls over to see if the
Last week's service at the American Church in Paris played some role in this attitude, too. In his sermon, one minister referenced Mother Teresa who once said, "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle; I just wish that He didn't

All in all, I'm excited for my journey ahead! I feel as though my life here is coming together, bit by bit. I made a few new friends at school today (school pictured on the right) - Helena from London and Monika from Germany, and French classes are going well. This is really going to be a great year.
Aaaand...for the record, my bike-riding skills have vastly improved, and I'm really not too shabby with a standard transmission... ;)
1 comment:
Adri,
Your blog is so refreshing and wonderful! It really makes me want to be 20 again. Thank you for letting us explore the world vicariously through your newest adventures.
love you,
mom
Post a Comment